Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Pizza

I plan on trying out a few pizza dough recipes in the future, but for the time being, I am making it through pizza nights care of Picazzo's. They sell gluten-free pizza dough for $5 a ball. It is waaay better than any store-boughts I've tried (curse you, Bob's Red Mill!) I like to split one in half, shape them into two pizzas and freeze them individually on parchment paper. Then they are ready to go when we order Red Devil's at my mom's. I can throw together a pizza for Dec in 20 minutes, about how long it takes for my dad to pick up the glutinous stuff for the rest of us. They don't give you any instructions when you pick it up, but gleaned from other recipes, here's my process:

1. Use a nonstick pizza pan. Period. This stuff will stick like no other. Or you can experiment with non-stick sprays or parchment paper or what-have-you.
2. Using wet hands, gently press out the dough onto the pizza pan. It's the consistency of batter, not dough. You don't need to set it out to rise or pre-bake it.
3. Gently spread sauce and arrange toppings.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.

You're done! If working from a frozen crust, just place in the oven for two to three minutes, then add sauce and toppings and bake for 15 minutes.

Sneaky Health Tip: I mix flax meal into the sauce. Nobody suspects a thing...

***UPDATE***
I always make plain cheese pizzas, but last week I was inspired to add mushrooms and bacon. Turns out that, like other GF crusts, you must prebake for 10 minutes if you're going to add toppings!

No comments:

Post a Comment