Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Naan

Oh, naan. I thought I'd lost you forever. Then I found this great recipe. I've yet to try adding garlic butter, but I'll let you know when I do. This goes great with the Coconut Curry or just for dippin' with some hummus. You can also freeze it and just pop it in the toaster oven for a bready snack. Great for flatbread sandwiches.

Ingredients
2/3 cup tepid whole milk
2 cups rice flour
8 Tablespoons tapioca flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoons xanthan gum
ghee (optional) or olive oil (optional)

Directions
1. In a bowl mix tepid milk with 1 teaspoon sugar and the yeast, then sit bowl in warm place for 4-5 minutes.
2. Sift the flours, Xanthan gum, salt, baking powder into a bowl or food mixer. Add remaining sugar, oil, yogurt, egg and mix until smooth.
3. Preheat oven to the highest setting. Make dough into 6 equal sized balls. Roll out balls into a tear shape that is ¼ inch thick (use rice flour if necessary to prevent sticking). I just press them out with my palm into amorphous shapes. What do I care?
4. Preheat a heavy baking tray in oven. Remove tray and put the naan on it. Return to the oven for 3 minutes or until the naan puffs up and turns light brown. Place tray under the broiler 30 seconds to 1 minute for extra browning.
5. Brush with ghee or olive oil before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment